Thursday, August 03, 2006

I Know What Women Want

I thought I knew what women wanted when I was in my twenties. Know I know the real answer. An industrial sized washing machine.

Griffin has the flu and seems to have thrown up more food today than he has eaten in the past week. I think that Lisa would trade anything I have ever bought her for the washing machine pictured above. I'll be sure to let Santa know. While I'm at it I think I'll put an offer in on "Venus of the Rags" by artist Michelangelo Pistoletto. It was created in 1967 and made from plaster and fabric. You can view it at the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, the Smithsonian's museum of international modern and contemporary art.

The description on the Smithsonian website says:

"In Venus of the Rags, Michelangelo Pistoletto contrasts the solidity of Classical statuary with a mound of painter's rags. By facing the plaster cast of Venus into the wall, the artist underscores the need to turn away from the ancient past, toward a future in which conventional standards for making and assessing art are less certain. Like his contemporaries Jannis Kounellis and Giulio Paolini, Pistoletto was associated in the 1960s and 1970s with Arte Povera, a loose federation of Italian-based artists who, like many in the post-World War II era, sought to merge art and life. Pistoletto originally installed the sculpture in an Italian neighborhood, outside the traditional art context of a gallery or museum, to comment on the relationship between art and society." Bla Bla Bla

They are wrong. It is a mother, with a sick kid, in the laundry room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home