Debauchery & Donuts
We spent the first night in a seedy motel just outside of New Orleans. There were not any decent, or even clean & safe, hotels anywhere to be found in the area. We could have gone on further but I really wanted the boys to try the famous beignets at Cafe Du Monde.


In the morning we drove into the French Quarter. This is the historical part of New Orleans (or N'Awlins as the locals call it). It is also Party Central. When we arrived at 8:00 a.m. there were still drunks stumbling about the streets. I'm not talking about have some drinks and get a fun buzz drunk here. I'm talking about falling down get arrested drunk! In fact, we saw one woman getting arested but we are not sure what for. There was at least one police car on the streets for every civilian car. I lived in the French Quarter one summer while I worked a job at the 1984 World Fair. I'm not sure if New Orleans has gone downhill or if my perspective has changed, but it definitely seemed seedier than I recall.

We enjoyed ourselves there anyway. The boys loved the beignets but Wyatt was a bit freaked out by one of the many Voodoo shops that we passed. This was one of the kind that cater to tourists. There are some that cater to real practitioners as well! EEK!

The highway out of town was literally carved out of the swamp.


In the morning we drove into the French Quarter. This is the historical part of New Orleans (or N'Awlins as the locals call it). It is also Party Central. When we arrived at 8:00 a.m. there were still drunks stumbling about the streets. I'm not talking about have some drinks and get a fun buzz drunk here. I'm talking about falling down get arrested drunk! In fact, we saw one woman getting arested but we are not sure what for. There was at least one police car on the streets for every civilian car. I lived in the French Quarter one summer while I worked a job at the 1984 World Fair. I'm not sure if New Orleans has gone downhill or if my perspective has changed, but it definitely seemed seedier than I recall.

We enjoyed ourselves there anyway. The boys loved the beignets but Wyatt was a bit freaked out by one of the many Voodoo shops that we passed. This was one of the kind that cater to tourists. There are some that cater to real practitioners as well! EEK!

The highway out of town was literally carved out of the swamp.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home